Welcome to The English Farm. Click here to access our learning portal.



DRAMATIZATION OF A SHORT STORY 

THE FLY
Original Text: Katherine Mansfield
CHARACTERS:
1. The Boss
2. Mr. Woodifield (A talkative old fellow)
3. Macey (the office attendant)

Place: Office of the boss
Scene: 1
[The Narrator: The boss is a well-off and high-ranking man who lives in comfort, dignity and ease, but bears a deep sorrow in the inmost core of his heart and tries to forget it in his busy occupation, social importance and personality but it remains ever within him and may bother him at the slightest provocation. Mr. Woodifield, five years younger than the boss is sick and feeble after his first stroke. His ailment keeps him confined to home in strict homely discipline. On every Tuesday, he is permitted to visit his friends and he ravenously enjoys the day to the detriment of his own health and the disgust of his friend.]
Mr. Woodifield: Hello, my dear. Today is Tuesday. So, I am free from my confinement.
Boss: oh! It’s nice.
Mr. Woodifield: Your cabin is very comfortable and I think you enjoy the best of comfort in its truest term.
Boss: Yea. Right you are. It is snug and cosy enough.
[The Narrator: The boss is quite proud of his cabin and he likes to get it admired by Mr. Woodifield.]
Mr. Woodifield: Yea, yea. The same thing I am telling you. What a great life you enjoy. Your stamina is equivalent to the ease of your office room.
Boss: Thanks, Woodi, my dear. Here see, Woodi, the new carpet (The boss points out the new carpet). See the book case, a massive one. Look at the table. Woodi, appreciate the design. See the legs of the table like twisted treacle. Everything is brand new. [The boss draws the attention of Mr. Woodifield and shows the things boastfully barring the photograph on the table.]
Mr. Woodifield: well, well. But I came here to tell you something. But I forgot what I had wanted to tell you. Dear, think about my physical as well as mental strength. After my first attack, I can’t recollect the things properly. You are elder than me but you are quite fit. Your physical stamina makes me amazed.
Boss (proudly): A lot of thanks, Woodi.
Mr. Woodifield (trying to remember): What was it? What was it? I don’t remember. I had it in my mind in the morning. [He tries to remember]
Boss (Aside): You are a poor old fellow. You are at your last stage. God bless you.
Mr. Woodifield: Do you think something?
Boss:  Nothing.
[The Narrator: The boss takes a key off his watch chain and unlocks a cupboard below his desk and draws forth a dark, squat bottle.]
Mr. Woodifield: What is this?
Boss: It is a beautiful stuff. It will do you good before you go out into the cold. It is the medicine.
Mr. Woodifield (utters feebly and surprisingly): Whisky? If I am not wrong, then it is whisky.
Boss: You, yourself see the label.
Mr. Woodifield: Do you know my daughters do not allow me to touch it at my home?
Boss: Let them do at home. We know a bit more than the ladies.
Scene: 2
[The Narrator: The boss pours two tumblers and offers Mr. Woodifield and further asks not to add water.]
Mr. Woodifield (after drinking): It’s nutty.
[Narrator: It warms him. It creeps into his chill old brain and he remembers what he wanted to remember.]
Boss: What happened to you, Woodi? Do you feel well?
Mr. Woodifield: Yea. I can remember what I wanted to tell you then. I think you would like to know it.
Boss: What? Tell me.
Mr. Woodifield: My daughters were in Belgium last week and visited Reggie’s grave. Your son’s grave. My daughters were very happy to see the maintenance of the place. Beautifully looked after.
[The Narrator: Mr. Woodifield paused a while but the boss did not make any reply. Mr. Woodifield keeps on telling what happened at hotel but the boss hardly pays any attention. Mr. Woodifield turns towards the door.]
Boss: Quite right, quite right. (Without knowing the incident)

Scene: 3
[The Narrator: For a long moment the boss stays staring at nothing. The grey-haired office messenger sees him dodged in and out of his cubbyhole like a dog that expects to be taken for a run.]
Boss: Macey, Macey. (Calling at his highest pitch)
Macey: Yes sir.
Boss: Where were you?
Macey: Here only.
Boss: Listen to me very carefully. I’ll see nobody for half an hour. Understand? Nobody at all.
Macey: Ok sir.
Boss (while groaning): My son!
[The Narrator: Woodifield’s remark upon his son’s shocked him terribly. He was the only son of the boss. The boy was simply splendid. He had been in the office learning the ropes for a year before the war. The boy died in the war. Sis years ago the day had come when Macey had handed him the telegram that brought the whole place crashing about his head. The incident happened six years ago but to the boss it might have happened yesterday. The boss decided to get up and have a look at the boy’s photograph. But it was not the boss’s favourite photograph. The boy had never looked like that. At that moment the boss sees a fly that has fallen into his inkpot.
Boss (soliloquy): What is this in the inkpot? A fly? Yea, yea. It is the fly.
[The Narrator: The boss helps the fly come out of the inkpot. The boss starts testing its stamina and tenacity to survive against the odds of life. He tries this by dropping ink on the fly, as it tries to move and fly. Finally, the fly dies out of exhaustion.]
Boss (Soliloquy): We are helpless against the odds of life. We are the sheer puppets in the hands of Fate. We have to succumb ultimately to the cruel hands of Fate, instead of having wealth, riches and property.